Machine Shop & Machinery Safety
Implementing functional safety on new CNC machines has become an important detail for designers and builders of cutting, turning, multi-tasking and other types of machine tools. There are many aspects to be considered when implementing a safety protocol. There are common hazards associated with the use of machine shop equipment and tools. This program provides guidance on the use of personal protective equipment, machine guarding, and recommended safety policies.
- You should always start with proper training. Employees should never use a machine without first being trained. In order to implement this have employees attend general safety training and specific training on the machine they will use.
- It may seem obvious but there must be a strict policy on never using a machine when impaired. Be Sober and Smart.This includes when employees are sick, too tired, stressed or too hurried to work carefully.
- Don’t wear open toed shoes. In a machine shop closed toed, preferably steel toed shoes should always be worn. Tools, chips and fixtures are sharp, and often hot. Shoes will help protect your feet from injury. Leather shoes are preferred when welding.
- Always wear appropriate eye safety gear, when working with machines or cleaning tools. Including but not limited to safety glasses or goggles, prescription glasses with plastic lenses must meet ANSI Standard Z87.1.
- Remove or secure anything that might get caught in moving machinery. Long hair, necklaces, ties, dangling ID badge, jewelry, loose clothes, watch or Rings, may get caught in tools can drag you along resulting in serious injury or death. Consider this before entering the shop floor.
Remember all machines are dangerous if used improperly or carelessly. Working safely is the first thing the user or operator should learn because the safe way is the correct way. Here at Precise we like to say accidents don’t happen they are caused, and most accidents are caused by not following prescribed procedures. Develop safe work habits rather than suffer the consequences of an accident.
August 18, 2017
The landscape of the manufacturing industry is constantly changing. With industry experts always working on new technologies that digitize manufacturing, advancing changes possible become increasingly possible. Even now it is possible to produce highly advanced components, consumer products or virtually Read the full article…
August 3, 2017
When looking to drive up more business large part manufacturing is perhaps an option. Offering clear results and benefits that beat the competition and reduce time to market. Choosing large manufacturing brings together aspects of waste management and factory-line optimization Read the full article…
July 27, 2017
Technology advancements are something we come across in every industry. Here at Precise we are constantly watching how the industry moves. It is the only way to prepare for the future, we saw a major change in the industry when Read the full article…